Sunday, July 02, 2006

Weekend Scores

For those who've been heaving long sighs of relief at not having to read new drivel here, well, time to take a pause. Distractions kept me away from my blog during the weekend. Quite understandable, really. A young red-blooded male has plenty of distractions, and this weekend has been a particularly sporty one, with some scoring, and others not...

Those who scored, well, my favorites England were not amongst them, but my second favorites France were, and that too over Brazil! That was unexpected and felt so good! Argentina scored but still lost to Germany, while Ukraine were positively disposed off by the Italians, leaving an all-European semi-final line-up for the first time since I started watching the FIFA World Cup. That was back as a six-year old, and although I have no recollection of Maradona summoning the Hand of God, I do remember watching the albiceleste defeating the West Germans in the final. I hope it will be a Germany-France final next Sunday...

Another of my favorites, Andre Agassi, bowed out of Wimbledon for the last time in his career. He went in straight sets to Rafael Nadal. With Andre's wife already having retired a few years ago, I guess I will not be watching tennis any more...

Yet another of my favorites is on pole-position for the United States Grand Prix later tonight. I have been following Formula 1 since 1995, and have been an unwavering supporter of Michael Schumacher who was the defending champion that year, and as far as I am concerned, he's the only champion ever. And he has a score to settle with his detractors, what with last time's US GP being an absolute fiasco, although Schumi won, which, once again, is all that matters...

And then, there's cricket. When our team started their tour of the West Indies, they were expected to make a killing. Two months on, we've lost the one-day series 4-1 and failed to win any of the first three tests, all of which ended in tight draws, but draws nonetheless. And so, when the batting lineup collapsed for only 200 on friday night, we were in trouble. But, the West Indies haven't been at the bottom of the acknowledged test playing nations' list for the past decade for nothing. Their extremely naive batting display still managed to give the Indians a 97-run lead. I don't think I've ever seen a test-match side getting dismissed in just 33 overs against our team. We're not the best bowling/fielding side in the world. And our batting is powerful only on blog. They were six-down again in the second innings. But, we are 225 ahead, which is already a dozen more than the highest successfully chased score at the Sabina Park in Kingston...

While it has been as interesting a tour as the Indians have made in the past few years (the ones to Australia and Pakistan stand out in memory), this last test match has had its moments. It certainly promises ot be the first time in this series that either of the teams has the chance to capture a score of wickets. That, of course, is what it takes to win a test match. I have a feeling that today will be the last day of the series, two days ahead of schedule...

That's about all the scoring that happened this weekend in the life of your typical red-blooded youngster in India. More to come, with plenty more experiences to be gained. You'll have to keep praying...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home