Monday, October 09, 2006

What a weekend!

There are bad weekends and there are bad weekends. Any weekend that comes under the "Working Weekend" category is by definition a bad weekend. But this last weekend, October 7th-8th, was probably the worst non-working weekend ever. I hope, that is. I hope it doesn't get worse than this.

To begin with, I caught an extremely bad cold on Thursday, but had to fight it out at work because of some urgent crap. Which meant that by the time Friday evening arrived, I was as tired as an overworked beaver who has only one incisor available to transform his eagerness into sawdust.

Saturday, therefore, was given over to recuperation. With some time devoted the Qualifying session of the Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix, which Schumi aced through, promising a great time on Sunday. Then, the trouble started.

First there was the cricket. Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh. Although it sounds more of a mismatch than what it turned out to be, it still wasn't entertaining. Then, in the evening, England were taking on Macedonia in a football game, part of the qualifiers for the European Championships of 2006. That promised to be as big a mismatch as the cricket game. I mean, heck, the only Macedonians I knew before this were Alexander the Great and Mother Teresa, neither of them exactly well-known for their footballing skills. But my team still failed to score against them. And they take on Croatia (from where I know quite a few footballers...) on wednesday, so it was not a good sight at all.

Sunday dawned with Michael Schumacher leading the race at Japan comfortably, only for his engine to blow up, the first time since 2001, I think. And what a bad time for it to happen, when he was tied on points with Fernando Alonso, with only on more race in the season (and Michael's career) remaining. Alonso went on to win the race, and effectively the Championship, having now taken a ten-point lead. The weekend just kept getting worse.

If it was going to be salvaged in any way, it certainly wasn't going to be in the sporting arena, definitely not by the cricket-match between Zimbabwe and the West Indies. I have seen more one-sided games than this, but that's because I failed to watch much of this one. I dropped off when the Africans were two down for 10 runs i think. When I woke up, the match was over.

It was so frustrating, I actually started looking forward to Monday and work. It really was that bad. Luckily, Monday was usual, and made me start looking forward to the next weekend...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i thought mother teresa was from albania and english footballers are super-overrated like sreesanth and zaheer khan

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home